Monday, March 7, 2011

Pesto & goat cheese stuffed pork tenderloin


Devoted blog readers - I am now staffed on a new case. My goal is to keep up the cooking/blogging, since I am lucky enough to be working on a client in town... but... we'll see. For now, I'm still trying to catch up on my previous cooking frenzy.

Last week I made dinner for two lovely Dallas ladies: M&M. M&M are working gals (also at Bain), so I had to share the joys of beach time with them. This dinner was relatively easy, but needs a little planning time. Preparation took ~30 minutes, and cooking time was close to an hour. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 pork loin (I used tenderloin, which is a bit smaller and harder to work with....)
1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
2 Tablespoons goat cheese
3 Tablespoons pesto (I used a fresh one from Whole Foods)
2 Tablespoons bread crumbs
Salt
Pepper

Tools: Food processor, butcher's twine or satay sticks to keep the stuffed loin together, and a sharp knife.

Preparation

For the stuffing:
Combine the mushrooms, goat cheese, bread crumbs, and pesto into the food processor. Blend until combined. Taste and season if needed.

For the meat:

Preheat the oven to 350F.

To begin, you will need to fillet the tenderloin into a 1/2-thick, flat piece. I won't try to explain how, just watch this video for technique.

Once your meat is flat, season both sides with salt and pepper and stuff with the mushroom mixture. I used bamboo sticks to keep the meat together, but if you have butcher's twine, have a go at trussing.

Next, sear the pork loin in a hot pan or cast-iron skillet so the outsides get a nice brown color. Once seared, pop into the oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Check the internal temperature of the meat around 40 minutes. The pork is done if the internal temperature is 160F.

Serve with braised kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment